It’s been a consistent struggle for the LGBT community when it comes to enjoying some of the basic rights that others have been able to take for granted.
But employers are more enlightened than one might think when it comes to LGBT workplace rights. Based on a national poll of small business employers:
- 63% believe an employer shouldn’t be able to fire or refuse to hire someone who is gay, lesbian or transgender if it conflicts with their religious beliefs.
- Another 6 in 10 small business owners said laws that protect against discrimination can improve their revenues because these kinds of laws help employers attract the best and brightest employees.
- More than two-thirds of small business owners believe federal law should prohibit employment discrimination against people because they are lesbian, gay, bisexual or transgender. About 81% didn’t realize there is no federal law that consistently protects LGBT individuals from employment discrimination.
Go to the Los Angeles Times, Business Section online to get the full story along with additional statistics.
Working on improving employee engagement?
EPIC is an Employee Engagement software that gives you the tools and insights to create a workplace culture that encourages engagement, loyalty, and trust.
The following two tabs change content below.
President and Founder at Easy Small Business HR
Get more tips on interviewing, hiring, managing and engaging your employees. Dianne Shaddock is the President of Easy Small Business HR, Employee Hiring and Managing Tips and the author of the eGuides, "How To Supervise: What Your Boss Never Told You Before You Took the Job", A Step-By-Step Guide For New and Seasoned Managers and "How To Find and Hire the Best Employees".
Latest posts by Dianne Shaddock (see all)
- Build the Best Team for Your Small Business - November 12, 2019
- Cross Training Staff – Doing the Right Thing For the Wrong Reasons - January 18, 2019
- Proactive Employee Management Really Boils Down To The Basics - December 21, 2015
- Office Meetings Do Not Have To Be A Productivity Time Drain If Done Right - November 17, 2015
- Proposed Changes To Employee Rights Laws: WAGE Act Bill - November 3, 2015
Leave a Reply