Workplace bullying seems to be a growing trend. There are scores of extremely informative, but sobering articles on the topic:
Bullying At Work A Growing Trend | Glassdoor Blog
Workplace Bullying Can Hurt Your Business – Small Business Trends
Working on improving employee engagement?
EPIC is an Employee Engagement software that gives you the tools and insights to create a workplace culture that encourages engagement, loyalty, and trust.
“Diversity Now”: Workplace Bullying: New Trend or an Old Problem …
Is Workplace Bullying on the Rise? | Why Lead Now
Bullying reaches the workplace | Harassment at Work
So it’s not surprising that a 2012 Career Builder Survey of 3,800 employees nationwide found that:
- 35% of the 3,800 workers survey felt that they had been bullied on the job
- 16% experienced health related issues
- 17% deemed that enough is enough and left their jobs
What can you do as an employer to stay ahead of workplace bullying? The Employment Discrimination Report Blog offers some tips on how to reduce bullying in the workplace as shared by workplace consultant Jason Carney in the article, “Workplace Bullying Can Result in Lower Productivity“:
- Have a good management team in place that can spot this bullying “a mile away.”
- Be on the lookout for office gossip, a major indicator of bullying (more on that soon), and try to reduce harmful gossip by making employees aware of its damage.
- Conduct sensitivity training for all employees, and training specifically on workplace bullying for managers.
- If workplace bullying has indeed occurred, an employer should help the victim gain access to an employee assistance program (“EAP”) – which can provide free counseling sessions, and an anonymous third-party reporting mechanism.
Latest posts by Dianne Shaddock (see all)
- Build the Best Team for Your Small Business - November 12, 2019
- Cross Training Staff – Doing the Right Thing For the Wrong Reasons - January 18, 2019
- Proactive Employee Management Really Boils Down To The Basics - December 21, 2015
- Office Meetings Do Not Have To Be A Productivity Time Drain If Done Right - November 17, 2015
- Proposed Changes To Employee Rights Laws: WAGE Act Bill - November 3, 2015