I pulled this article from the Easy Small Business HR archives. It’s over a year old, but worth revisiting. Enjoy!
In my role as an employee relations consultant for both supervisors and employees at various companies, I’ve met with scores of workers who have voiced a litany of concerns about the things that they don’t like about their managers. The goal of this list below is not to pass judgment but, to make supervisors more aware of employee perceptions; giving those managers who may identify with the concerns expressed an opportunity to make changes over time.
Some of the most common complaints that employees have leveled against their supervisors:
Working on improving employee engagement?
EPIC is an Employee Engagement software that gives you the tools and insights to create a workplace culture that encourages engagement, loyalty, and trust.
1. Regularly showing preferential treatment to some employees over others
2. Micro-manager; no faith in the employee’s ability to perform the job
3. Supervisors who don’t have an understanding the work that they do and the daily challenges that they face
4. Inability to perform the day to day aspects of the jobs of the people that they supervise
5. Lack of support; particularly when problems occur, (not watching their employees backs)
6. Not having direct access to you when needed
7. Lack of communication and feedback
8. Lack of acknowledgement or praise for special accomplishments on the job
9. Not working as hard as they do, (not in the office, always in meetings)
10. Not being an effective leader. This perception includes the supervisor that lets peers walk all over them to not dealing immediately with disruptive or difficult employees
11. Not showing your “human” side
12. Not listening/Talking over them/Ignoring them
Latest posts by Dianne Shaddock (see all)
- Cross Training Staff – Doing the Right Thing For the Wrong Reasons - January 18, 2019
- Proactive Employee Management Really Boils Down To The Basics - December 21, 2015
- Office Meetings Do Not Have To Be A Productivity Time Drain If Done Right - November 17, 2015
- Proposed Changes To Employee Rights Laws: WAGE Act Bill - November 3, 2015
- Why It Is Important to Distinguish Interns From Employees – Especially In Cases of Unpaid Interns - October 27, 2015