Are you a manager that has trouble understanding the value of on the job training for staff?
There is the perception that there has to be a “need” to develop staff. It’s not unusual for some managers to reason that if there is not another job opportunity available, why take the time to develop employees?
Employee development is an area where managers really want to think outside of the box. You don’t need to have a promotional opportunity available in order to mentor and train employees. Giving your employees and opportunity to grow and stretch their skill set by providing opportunities to manage a project, or to help out another team member in an area that is outside of their job description are easy ways to support the growth and development of your employees.
Working on improving employee engagement?
EPIC is an Employee Engagement software that gives you the tools and insights to create a workplace culture that encourages engagement, loyalty, and trust.
So what are some of the advantages?
1. Employees look forward to coming to work because they are learning and growing; not stagnant.
2. Helps your employees to become more rounded professionally by enriching your employees’ skill set. On the job training is an inexpensive professional development tool. Hands on learning is one of the best ways to develop expertise.
3. Demonstrates your interest in staff development and your employees’ job satisfaction.
4. Increases productivity and job satisfaction. Employees that recognize that management is supportive of their growth and enrichment are almost always more engaged and productive.
5. Contributes to company growth. Employees that are able to take on broader levels of responsibility can only help your company to run more efficiently which saves time and money.
Any way you look at it, investing time and energy upfront will pay dividends down the road.
Latest posts by Dianne Shaddock (see all)
- Cross Training Staff – Doing the Right Thing For the Wrong Reasons - January 18, 2019
- Proactive Employee Management Really Boils Down To The Basics - December 21, 2015
- Office Meetings Do Not Have To Be A Productivity Time Drain If Done Right - November 17, 2015
- Proposed Changes To Employee Rights Laws: WAGE Act Bill - November 3, 2015
- Why It Is Important to Distinguish Interns From Employees – Especially In Cases of Unpaid Interns - October 27, 2015